Download Current Recipe as PDF
- 1 Navel orange, zested
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 (7.5oz ) container store-bought buttermilk biscuit dough
- Vegetable and olive oil (for frying)
- Sprinkles for decoration
- Place zest, sugar, ground cinnamon and nutmeg in a paper bag and shake to combine. Place equal parts vegetable and olive oil into a 12-inch skillet until it measures approximately 2 inches deep. Heat oil to 350°F.
- Place dough on a clean working surface. Separate into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Gently flatten each with the palm of your hand. Using a floured 1-inch cookie cutter, cut a hole in the center of each biscuit.
- Working in batches, place donut holes in hot oil and fry until golden, approximately 5 – 8 minutes. Transfer the hot donuts using tongs or a slotted spoon to the paper bag. Shake to generously coat with zested spiced sugar. Serve immediately. Makes 8 donuts.
- Add sprinkles for fun. (For extra yum, fry small center cuts for donut poppers).