Download Current Recipe as PDF
Zucchini, an all-star during the summer, never tasted so good than fried up as fritters! Serve with slices of heirloom tomato and you’ll hit a home run.
Prepared in 15 minutes plus 1 hour to drain and refrigerate.
Salt the zucchini generously and leave to drain in a colander for one hour. Gently squeeze excess water out of zucchini with a paper towel.In a large bowl, beat the eggs and add the shredded zucchini, herbs, minced scallion, cumin, bread crumbs, salt and pepper to taste and cheese. Mix together well.Make small handful patties in the palm of hand. *Add more breadcrumbs or all-purpose flour if too moist. Refrigerate for one hour. Remove from refrigerator and lightly dredge patties in flour.Heat 1 inch of olive oil in a large frying pan until hot and rippling. (approximately 275F degrees.)When the oil is very hot, add the patties in batches to the pan. Fry until golden brown, turning once with a slotted spoon. Remove from the oil, and drain briefly on a rack. Serve with plain Greek style yogurt mixed with zested lemon.
- 2 pounds large zucchini, trimmed and grated on the wide holes of a grater or food processor
- Salt to taste
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup chopped mixed fresh herbs mint, flat-leaf parsley and dill
- 4 minced scallions
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh or dry breadcrumbs, more as necessary
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup crumbled feta or grated Parmigianno-Reggiano
- All-purpose flour as needed and for dredging
- Olive or grape seed oil for frying